Nie-fiksie / Non-fiction: Gardening / Tuinbou
Nie-fiksie / Non-fiction - Gardening / Tuinbou
R 168You save R 42
All the information you need to take care of your orchids, whether you are an amateur or a serious grower
Once the domain of specialist growers only, orchids have become so popular that they now count among plants with mass-market appeal and can be purchased at nurseries, supermarkets and florists. Most plants are bought or received as gifts by people who have never grown an orchid or have never been able to keep it alive, let alone get it to flower again. But if the right growing instructions are followed, orchids can be grown by anybody, anywhere, with many flowering for extended periods.
This book contains all the information you need to take care of your orchids, whether you are an amateur or a serious grower. The focus is on South African conditions with plant selection favouring those that will do well locally. The information is clear, but simple, and deals with all aspects of keeping your orchids healthy and happy to ensure that they will flower again. The contents include:
- What makes an orchid different from other flowering plants
- Cultivating orchids, from growing mediums to propagation and hybridisation
- Recognizing and dealing with pests and diseases
- Guide to the main orchid groups with special reference to those most commonly available, as well as detailed care and growth requirements for each
- Orchid companions: plants that enjoy the same growing conditions
Anyone can grow orchids boasts magnificent photographs of more than 420 orchid species and hybrids, many specially commissioned for the book, and provides loads of visual inspiration in addition to excellent practical information. It will help you find an orchid that is just right for you and make it easy for you to keep it in the best possible condition.
Publication date: 2013-10-01